(serves up to 6. Preparation time 15 mins, cooking time: 20 mins + about 6 hours in a slow cooker*).
- about 1kg wild boar and cut into large pieces
- 2 400g tins of chopped tomatoes (or the equivalent in fresh tomatoes)
- 100ml Bim’s Kitchen African Lemon Garlic & Pepper Sauce
- 1 tbsp of Bim’s Kitchen Chilli Coconut Relish
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 large carrots (sliced)
- 2 bell peppers (sliced)
- 1 tbsp of cornflour
- 100ml water
- 200g washed baby leaf spinach
- some sunflower/rapeseed oil (for browning meat)
- a few good pinches of salt and pepper
Season the boar meat evenly with the cornflour and a few pinches of salt and pepper. Add some oil to a heated pan and briefly brown the meat on all sides and set aside. Combine the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, water, honey, lemon, garlic & pepper sauce and the chilli coconut relish and set aside. Add the browned meat, carrots, peppers to the slow cooker. Add the tomato mixture and a few generous pinches of salt then gently mix together.
Set the cooker to “high” and cook unopened for 5 hours 50 mins. Add the spinach and gently fold through. Cover and cook for remaining 10 mins.
Serve with rice, mashed potatoes or some warm bread. Shown here with lemon, garlic & pepper mash potato.
TIP: To quickly and evenly brown the boar with minimum mess, brush a baking tray with some of the oil and place in the middle of an oven preheated to 200∞C for 1 min. Add the meat in a single layer and brush\spray evenly with the rest of the sunflower oil. Return the tray to the oven and roast for 20 mins turning the meat half-way through.
*we used the Crock-Pot® 5.7 Litre Slow Cooker (SCCPBPP605) for this recipe