(serves up to 6. Preparation time 30 mins, cooking time: 2 hours).
- 1 large chicken (trimmed and cut into 6 – 10 pieces)
- 1.5kg sweet root vegetables (washed and cut into large chunks. We used carrots, onion, turnip and swede)
- 2 bell peppers (cut into large pieces)
- 100 – 150ml of Bim’s Kitchen Sweet African Tigernut & Chilli Sauce
- a 400g tin of chopped plum tomatoes
- a 400g tin of coconut milk
- 250ml water
- 4 bay leaves
- some rapeseed/sunflower oil (for browning the chicken)
- a few good pinches of salt and black pepper
Preheat oven as below.
Season the chicken evenly with a few pinches of salt and pepper. Add the oil to a heated pan and brown the meat on all sides and set aside. Pour the coconut milk, tomatoes, Tigernut & Chilli Sauce and a few pinches of salt into a bowl and gently stir together.
Spread half of the chopped vegetables evenly at the bottom of a suitable casserole dish. Place the chicken in a single layer on top of the vegetables. Scatter the remaining vegetables around the chicken and then pour the coconut milk/tomato and chilli sauce mixture evenly over the chicken. Add the water and bay leaves around the dish. Cover tightly with foil and place in the middle of an oven pre-heated to 190ºC for 1hr 45mins – 2hrs. Chicken should be thoroughly cooked through and very tender with a rich, thick sauce.
Serve with rice, mashed potatoes or some warm bread. (Shown here with plain Kilombero rice)
TIP: To quickly and evenly brown the chicken brush a baking tray with some of the oil and brush/spray some more oil on top of each piece of chicken. Place in the middle of an oven preheated to 200ºC for 15 – 20mins.