Serves 2- 4 as a side. Preparation 5 mins, cooking time approx. 20 mins
- 100g sprouting kale (washed and trimmed weight), we got ours from the Brambletye Fruit Farm stall at Kings Market, Southgate
- 50g baby spinach leaves (washed)
- 100g onion (finely chopped)
- 1 – 2 tbsp Bim’s Kitchen African Chilli Coconut Relish
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes (or fresh if preferred)
- salt to taste
Heat the sunflower oil in a wok over a low heat for about a minute. Add the onion and tomatoes and raise cooker to a moderate heat. Continue cooking and stirring for about 10 mins until most of the liquid from the tomatoes & onions has evaporated and the sauce thickened. Add the chilli coconut relish, stir and continue cooking for a further 30 secs. Add the sprouting kale, raise the heat and stir-fry for about 2 -3 minutes until just softened. Add the spinach and stir-fry for a further minute tasting for salt.
Serve while hot with your chosen accompaniments. (Shown here with some boiled potatoes and grilled African peppered pork loin steaks- see separate recipe.)
TIP: Sprouting broccoli makes a good alternative to the sprouting kale.