(serves up to 6. Preparation time 20 mins, cooking time: 2 hours).
- about 500g lean minced beef
- a 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- a 400g tin of cooked kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 a bell pepper (cut into large pieces)
- 2 medium-sized carrots (cut into large slices)
- 150g cabbage (cut into large slices)
- 1 beef/chicken/vegetable stock cube
- 100ml of Bim’s Kitchen Sweet African Tigernut & Chilli Sauce (or African Pepper Sauce for a much hotter version)
- 100ml water
- 1 tbsp of mixed dried herbs
- 1 tsp tomato purée (optional) a 200g bag of baby leaf spinach (washed)
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- a few good pinches of salt
Preheat oven to 190ºC
Season the minced beef with the mixed herbs and a few pinches of salt. Heat a frying pan with the sunflower oil and brown the mince. Transfer the browned mince to a suitable casserole dish and add all the other ingredients (except the spinach if using) and a few pinches of salt and gently stir together. Seal the dish tightly with aluminium foil and place in the centre of the pre-heated oven.
Cook for 2 hours. If using spinach as well, remove dish from the oven after 1 hour 55 mins, add the spinach and gently stir in. Cover and return to the oven for the last 5mins. Serve while hot.
Serve with creamy mash potato, rice, cous cous or some warm bread.