(serves up to 6. Preparation time 10 mins, cooking time: 10 mins + about 8 hours in a slow cooker*).
- 1.2kg fresh oxtail, trimmed and cut into large pieces (ours was from our local butchers, Morgan’s Pori Gwych in Caerwys)
- 500g baby new potatoes (washed and halved)
- a bottle of Bim’s Kitchen African Coconut Piri Piri
- a 400ml tin of coconut milk
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 3 tbsp honey (we used Haughton Honey’s runny honey)
- 2 tbsp of cornflour
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- a few good pinches of salt
Season the oxtail evenly with the cornflour and a few pinches of salt. Add the sunflower oil to a heated pan and briefly brown the meat on all sides and set aside. In a non-metallic bowl, mix the Coconut Piri Piri, coconut milk, tomato puree and honey together. Pour half of the sauce mixture in the bottom of the slow cooker then place the oxtail and potatoes evenly on top of the sauce. Pour the remaining sauce over the layer of oxtail and potatoes. Add a few generous pinches of salt.
Set the cooker to “high” and cook unopened for 8 hours.
Skim off any excess fat and serve with plain rice, mashed potatoes or some warm bread.
TIP: To quickly and evenly brown the oxtail with minimum mess, brush a baking tray with some of the sunflower oil and place in the middle of an oven preheated to 190C for 2 mins. Add the oxtail in a single layer and brush\spray the rest of the oxtail evenly with the rest of the sunflower oil. Return the tray to the oven and roast for 10- 12 mins turning the meat half-way through.
* we used the Crock-Pot® 5.7 Litre Slow Cooker (SCCPBPP605) for this recipe