(serves up to 6. Preparation time 20 mins, cooking time: 10 mins + about 4.5 hours in a slow cooker*).
- about 1kg lamb shoulder fillets, trimmed and cut into large pieces
- 2 bell peppers (cut into large pieces)
- 2 large carrots (cut into large slices)
- 200g cabbage (cut into large pieces)
- 200g baby button mushrooms (cleaned and left whole)
- a jar of Bim’s Kitchen African Peanut Curry Sauce (or one of our curry sauces)
- 1 tbsp of cornflour
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- a few good pinches of salt
Kilombero rice & beans
(serves up to 6. Preparation time 10 mins, cooking time: 15 mins).
- 500g Kilombero white rice
- a 400g tin of cooked kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 700ml water (just boiled)
- A splash of sunflower oil
- a few pinches of salt
The lamb curry
Season the lamb evenly with the cornflour and a few pinches of salt. Brush the sunflower oil round an oven tray pan and spread the lamb and mushrooms round in a single layer. Place the tray in an oven preheated to 210C and roast for 20- 30 mins pouring off the fatty liquid and turning half way through. Meat and mushrooms should be nicely browned. Pour half of the sauce mixture in the bottom of the slow cooker then place the meat and vegetables in the pot and top with the remaining sauce. Add a few generous pinches of salt and gently mix together.
Set the cooker to “high” and cook unopened for 4.5 hours.
* we used the Crock-Pot® 5.7 Litre Slow Cooker (SCCPBPP605) for this recipe
The Kilombero rice & beans
Rinse the rice thoroughly, drain and set aside. Bring the water back to the boil in a suitably sized saucepan. Add the rice, kidney beans, a splash of sunflower oil and salt and gently stir together. Cover the saucepan and bring back to the boil. Simmer for 1-2 minutes then reduce the heat to a bare minimum and leave to cook covered for 12 -15 mins. All the water should be absorbed and the rice nice and fluffy.